Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Ready For The Ball To Drop

With Christmas past and the new year encroaching, these reflections from Dr. Evil on the halcyon days of his youth probably speak to all of us in one way or another:

My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really.

I believe that riff by Dr. Evil in the original Austin Powers movie was inspired by the rarely-sung final stanza in the classic song from The Sound of Music...

Hot Rangoon summers and chilly luge lessons,
Burlap bag beatings in my adolescence,
Making meat helmets whenever it's spring,
These are a few of my favorite things.


This blog has been one of my favorite things in 2004. Thanks for stopping by, San Diego.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Grant--today was a stand out day in humorous moments in our friendship. Sharing a couple of hours worth of Ron Burgundy quotes over birthday cake and waffles was really the best way to ring in the new year. Hope you guys make it back to Abilene in one piece. Love you, man. Thanks for bringing the family to Ella's birthday party. Thanks for stopping by, San Diego!